The Food Team aims to address and improve food waste, food access, and food education on the UW–Madison campus.
The team works with student organizations and campus entities to generate and implement strategies to improve access to sustainable, culturally significant, and nutritious food. The Food Team also promotes and shares sustainable practices that individuals can employ on their own.
- To improve student, staff, and faculty’s access to healthy, culturally significant, and nutritious foods
- Connect like-minded members of UW–Madison who are working to better our food system
- Educate the campus community on sustainable food options on campus
- Decrease food waste on campus through innovation, education, and awareness
- Work on the areas of food access, education, waste, and sourcing
Seasonal Food Guides
- Food Waste Survey:
- Free Food Alert
- In an era where food waste and sustainability are critical global issues, hope emerges from the halls of education. UW–Madison is taking a pioneering step towards combating food waste by offering a pilot program of the Free Food Alert system to the campus community. Read about the initiative here.
- Food Access Survey:
- The Office of Sustainability is preparing a survey to evaluate the food access levels of students. The information gathered from the survey will be shared with campus food organizations to better allocate, provide, and communicate food resources to students. The Food Team supports the development and implementation of the survey.
- UW–Madison Food Resources:
- Click here to take a deeper look at food access resources at UW–Madison and surrounding communities.
- Chadbourne Garden Bed:
- Cook with Us TikTok Series:
- The Food Team shares their favorite seasonal and sustainable recipes through TikTok videos posted on @sustain_uw.
Office of Sustainability Cookbook:
The UW–Madison Office of Sustainability Cookbook started as a passion project for Food Team interns. Upon recognizing that many of the OS staff and interns are passionate cooks and gardeners, members of the Food Team wanted a way to share some of their knowledge, insight, and favorite recipes with the greater UW–Madison community. The cookbook features vegetarian, vegan, culturally significant, and seasonal foods to encourage readers to eat sustainably.
Check out the digital cookbook here!
- Join the community
- Additional resources: