The Social Sustainability Coalition (SSC), formerly known as the Green Allies Coalition, strives to advance the interests of social sustainability* on the UW-Madison campus. By leveraging institutional resources and facilitating community among a coalition of students and student-led organizations dedicated to social equity, the SSC aims to build collaborative partnerships that support a more inclusive and accessible culture for sustainability. The SSC acknowledges that social sustainability is a necessary, and often overlooked, component of environmentalism, and we strive to actively contribute to the reframing of the sustainability narrative. The members of SSC are not experts but instead aspire to learn along with their campus partners in a productive and inclusive manner.
*The SSC understands social sustainability to be the ideal of sustainability that prioritizes the protection of people while protecting the planet. Social sustainability is inherently intertwined with social justice and equity.
- Host a variety of co-led gatherings with our partner students and organizations
- Build a self-sustaining community of trust
- Create a forum for discussion and collaboration over our shared goals
- Use our shared knowledge to enact change and transform campus culture
- Support and advocate for our partner organizations
Amplifying BIPOC Voices Series
The Social Sustainability Coalition created this series to help recenter voices that have historically been excluded from these conversations on our campus and across mainstream environmentalism.
Books for Break
Intern-curated suggestions for what to read over your breaks!
Join the Coalition
To join our email list and learn more about upcoming events with the Social Sustainability Coalition, or get more information about the SSC, please email email@example.com.
Here you can find links to organizations and centers on campus relevant to Environmental, Social, and Economic Sustainability. Please email us if there are any additional resources you believe should be shared on this page!
- Black Cultural Center (BCC)
- Gender and Sexuality Campus Center (GSCC)
- McBurney Disability Resource Center
- Multicultural Student Center (MSC)
- Rape Crisis Center (RCC)
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- UHS Food Assistance
- University Health Services (UHS)
- Wisconsin Involvement Network (WIN)