We would like to thank our sponsors for making this Workshop possible!
Applying for a Global Business Development Program grant through the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC)
Companies attending the 2014 Workshop: SUSTAINABLE URBAN ENVIRONMENTS – INNOVATIVE ECONOMICS FOR PLANNING, DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF GREEN URBAN ENVIRONMENTS in Shanghai are encouraged to apply for an International Market Access Grant (IMAG) through the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC). Please read below to learn more about the qualifications, conditions, application process, and acceptable covered expenses for the International Market Access Grant.
- Must be an established business operating in Wisconsin that manufactures, processes, assembles, and/or distributes a product or service with a potential to be exported. The company does not have to be headquartered in Wisconsin, but it must have export-related operations located within the state.
- Self-certify that at least 35% of the value of the product or service for which an award is made by WEDC is composed of Wisconsin cost inputs.
- The company must be new to exporting or trying to break into a new international market.
- The company agrees to a minimum cost match of 25% of the total grant awarded. If the grant requests assistance to work with our Global Network Provider Service or consulting services, then those expenses must be matched at 50%.
- Program runs on fiscal year of July 1-June 30.
- Companies that apply for the IMAG grant are eligible for up to $10,000 during fiscal year.
How to Apply
- Electronic format is preferred.
- A company must apply for the IMAG and be approved prior to incurring expenses for reimbursement. It takes approximately 3-4 weeks to review your application and secure an approval date.
What kind of expenses does the International Market Access Grant cover?
- Company Trade Show Exhibition. This includes:
○ Exhibit/booth costs at an appropriate industry trade show or conference located outside the United States where the Wisconsin company name and/or logo is prominently displayed.
○ Shipping charges to and from the show for things like booth, display, samples, literature, and/or other equipment necessary.
○ Design, creation, and construction costs for a temporary booth for trade-only exhibits held outside the United States.
○ Costs incurred for utilities, insurance, equipment rental, furnishings, badge scanners, setup charges, and necessary modifications.
- Costs associated with foreign language translation of brochures and product information or with the use of in-country interpreter services at an industry appropriate trade show or matchmaker trade delegation program.
- Businesses Services provided by the WEDC Global Network (Market Assessment, Partner Search, Appointment Arrangement) or Matchmaker Services.
○ WEDC will reimburse the company for up to 50% of each service cost.
- Non-WEDC sponsored international trade missions
- Costs associated with foreign language translation of brochures and product information or with the use of in-country interpreter services during a sanctioned overseas trade/mission ventures.
○ Website and company/product literature localization and translation for international markets.
○ Hiring a firm to adapt an existing website, brochure, or catalog to local language and culture in a market.
- Consulting services, legal, professional, and/or government fees needed to meet certification standards to export a product. Examples include:
○ CE Mark Certification
○ China Compulsory Certification (CCC)
○ Trademark registration
○ First time device registrations
○ Health authority registrations
○ Lab tests for market entry
The International Market Access Grant will NOT cover:
- Business-related expenses that are categorized under “the cost of doing business”
- Other business service providers currently subsidized by the federal government will not be allowed (Food Export Association)
- Salaries, living expenses, office costs, allowances, office parking fees
- Communications costs relating to international trade show participation (hotel and cell phone charges, Internet usage, other business center charges)
- Passport and visa costs
- Travel and expenses for non-company employees including consultants, interpreters, independent representatives, distributors and dealers
- Refundable deposits and advances
- Design of materials and websites used exclusively for domestic markets
- Rental, lease, or purchase of warehouse space
- Purchase, construction or lease of space for permanent displays
- Meals, reception refreshments, entertainment, or gifts
- Business cards, seasonal greeting cards, or subscriptions to publications
- Product research and development
- Capital expenditures
- Membership fees to join industry-specific or trade-related associations.
Ineligible for Grant Funds (But may be used as part of company’s 25% or 50% match)
- International transportation of company representatives
For more information, contact Monica Wahlberg by email or by phone (608) 210-6734 or visit www.inwisconsin.com to learn more about WEDC and its programs, resources, and business plans.
If you would like to become a sponsor of the event, please contact